Hong Kong tower fire death toll climbs to 128
Digest more
Hong Kong's deadliest fire in decades is raising questions about corruption and negligence in the renovations of the apartment complex where at least 128 people died.
The city's worst blaze in decades broke out on Nov. 26 and rapidly engulfed seven of eight buildings in an apartment complex.
After Beijing reshaped the political order in Hong Kong in its image, the fire has become a test of how well that new system can govern in a crisis.
A deadly inferno has torn through a massive housing complex in Hong Kong, killing at least 83 people with many more still missing, in the city’s worst disaster in decades.
The inferno left at least 128 dead and gutted seven of eight 32-storey blocks. Read more at straitstimes.com. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Residents of Wang Fuk Court apartments had raised concerns about flammable foam panels and scaffold netting, but the government did not take decisive action.
The fire department in Hong Kong has just updated the death toll following the tower block fire. As of 20:00 local time (12:00 GMT), 65 people have died in the fire, with 70 injured, it says. Ten firefighters are also injured. Earlier on, Hong Kong's Chief Executive John Lee said firefighters had successfully rescued 55 people.
Disney canceled its Hong Kong premiere of Zootopia after dozens of people were killed in horrific high-rise fires in the region. “Due to a serious incident that occurred in Hong Kong, the scheduled appearance of Joey Yung at the ‘Friendtastic!